Saturday, October 15, 2011

Stake Conference

We had the first session of Stake conference today and for those who are unsure what that is I'll try to explain. Each member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints goes to the church closest to their home and the group of people that go to that particular church call it their ward. Then the Stake is made up of all the wards in an area. So for all my Ohioan's the Dayton Ohio East Stake consisted of wards in Springfield, Dayton, Huber Heights, Piqua and more on that side of Ohio. Hopefully that made some sense... We meet as a Stake every six months and we hear from the Stake Presidency and sometimes the Temple President and other Stake Leaders. 

The Provo Temple President spoke last and he talked about miracles that happen in the temple. My favorite one happened just yesterday I believe. Apparently this family has been trying hard to be worthy to enter the temple and be sealed for time and all eternity. Well they finally made it and they came to Provo to do the ordinance. One of the Temple workers saw the family come down the hall and she counted all of their children and she counted 1,2,3,4,5,6.

Then after the sealing she counted the children again 1,2,3,4,5. Then she asked the mother of the children how many kids she brought to the temple today and the mother said 5. The temple worker then said I counted 6 when you got here and the mother asked, "how old was the youngest?" The temple worker said, "About 10-12." The mother said, "We lost a baby 10 years ago."

Then he also told us that while that family was being sealed together the grandpa of this deceased child was acting in proxy for him and the temple worker performing the sealing said he could see the child's hand on top of the grandfather's. 

The Temple President was testifying of how the Temple is a connection between this life and the next and the road goes both ways.

It made me think of the family members names I have hanging on my fridge that I haven't finished. I need to finish their work so they can be reunited as an eternal family.


It was an amazing conference. Evan was superb the whole time as well. He even fell asleep without a whimper. I think he knew how much I needed to be there.

The first story is near and dear to my heart. My children were born in the covenant, so we don't need to be sealed because Greg and I were sealed when we got married therefore , our children are automatically sealed to us. but it's just so comforting knowing that we are a family forever and that other families can be the same and they will be.

They also talked about how Our marriages aren't guaranteed to last through all eternity because when we die we have to say, "Yes" again if we want to be with out Eternal Companions because God will not force us to be in a marriage that is unhappy or unhealthy.
It made me think of my marriage and I thought, "Would Greg say yes again?" He wasn't able to come tonight because of some company deal he RSVP'd for not knowing it was conference weekend and it looks bad to back out, so I went with Ev...
but anyway I thought about all the ways I could be a better wife. It really hit my heart hard when he said that because I couldn't even imagine spending eternity without my husband it's the mere thought of being without him that just kills me. It made me realize that I still need to work hard as a wife and I need to be sure I am giving him the Love and respect and attention that he deserves. We all need to remember our spouses and not let life happen and marriage seem like just another day. 
Marriage is tough, but we cannot fail if we work together and allow the Lord to be apart of it.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't able to be there last night but I'm so glad you posted this! Especially the last part about having to say "yes" again. When you think about it it is just like you said. I need to do everything I can as a wife to make sure he wants to say yes! :)

    I love your blog. Thank you for everything you post.

    ReplyDelete