Friday, September 30, 2011

Lessons from a Dentist and a CRNA

I've been having negative feelings towards people in Utah. In a nut shell I've seen and heard so many LDS people doing things that are totally contrary to their covenants and what we are taught. 

I went on a little rant about it during one of my cases at work and I happened to be doing Dental that day- we put little kids that won't behave in the dentist office to sleep and then the dentist fixes their teeth without struggling. While I was starting the wee ones IV I was still ranting and then the CRNA said (after being in total agreement with me), 

"The only thing I can say is that we don't know what is in their hearts." 

How true that is.

Not only do we not know what is in their hearts but we also don't know where they are in their lives or their progression spiritually. 

I think that is probably the hardest thing- not to judge others 

The second Hardest thing- Not to compare ourselves to others. I think this is harder for women. We shouldn't be so hard on ourselves. I'm sure most of us do what we can when we can. It's hard being a full time mom and a full time wife and a full time worker and somehow making it all work and still having time for adequate family time and me time. We shouldn't care if someone does it better than we do.

I guess I just thought when we came out here it would be easy and everyone would live the gospel perfectly. You know what? people are people everywhere you go. None of us are perfect we just need to love each other and be happy and encourage each other instead of hurting each other.

I'm still not real sure why this sentence hit me like a ton of bricks and brought me to tears, but I can tell you why I think it may have.

We were talking about Baptisms for the dead in the temple and the dental assistant that was with us asked a question about it (she isn't LDS) and the dentist said this-

"As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" yada yada yada....

It was that sentence (minus the yadas that hit me). Here are the reasons why I think it may have hit me.

A. The way he shared his testimony and declared his membership in the church was so powerful and so sure that it made me remember how real it is. 

B. He was the least bit hesitant to talk about the gospel or the temple. He was confident in  sharing the gospel and it reminded me how important that is. We need to not be afraid to share the gospel. Why is it so scary? Because we don't know how it will be received, but that's ok. We just need to share it.

C. It reminded me that I am a member of Christs true church. I belong to his church. I have made covenants with God and I need to be better. I need to be a good example simply because I represent Christ and his church. Every Sunday I take the sacrament and covenant to take upon me Christs name in church.

I am a member of the true church of Jesus Christ

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints.


No comments:

Post a Comment