Sunday, December 2, 2012

Crock Pot Roasted Tomato-basil Soup

I love my crock pot and I really love tomato soup that doesn't come from a can.

Photobucket

2 Cans(28oz each) peeled whole tomatoes, drained and 3 cups liquid reserved.
2 1/2 tbsp packed dark brown sugar
1 med onion, finely chopped
3 cups chicken broth
3 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 tsp ground allspice (I didn't use this because I don't like it)
1 can evaporated milk (5 ounces)
1/4 cup shredded fresh basil ( I used dried, but I would recommend fresh)
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat Oven to 450 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil; spray with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange tomatoes on foil in single layer. Sprinkle with brown sugar and top with onion. Bake about 25-30 min or until tomatoes look dry and light brown. Let tomatoes cool slightly; finely chop.

2. Place tomato mixture, 3 cups reserved liquid from tomatoes, broth, tomato paste and allspice (if you choose) in crock pot. Mix well. cook on low 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.

3. Add evaporated milk and basil; season with salt and pepper. cook on high for 30 min or until hot.

My husband hates tomatoes and therefore tomato soup, but he did say, "well, I don't hate this as much as I hate canned soup." Thank you husband, thank you. 
Our neighbors got lots of tomato soup because there was no way I was eating it all by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment