Monday, November 12, 2012

Green Drinks and Homemade Bread

We aren't sure when we are going to try and have another baby, but I'm sure it's not going to be real soon, but it's also not going to be real far away...somewhere in the middle haha.
Anyway, I decided to start being a little more strict on my clean diet (although I'm sure Thanksgiving is going to completely kill all my effort because we are going home for Thanksgiving and HELLO my grandma's cooking is like Betty Crocker's on steriods..and if that didn't make any sense...basically, my grandma rocks in the kitchen...the end.)
Until then and after then I want to be the healthiest I can be to nourish my future little wee one.
So that brings me to...GREEN DRINKS!

This is Banana (1/2), mango, pineapple, strawberry, peach, and spinach(filled to the top with about 5 pieces of fruit in the bottom) with 1 cup of water. I shouldn't use the frozen fruit in the bag at walmart because it has some additives to "preserve color" and that's no good, but it will do for now. They are delish and such a great breakfast that really is filling. You can also do- Kale and fruit. I love kale.

I started making my own bread for a couple reasons
The main reason was because- have you ever looked at the ingredients in your bread? Way too many to be healthy and the preservative free kind that I was buying was like 4 bucks a loaf...caaarrraaazzzaaayyyy. Reason number dos- It's. So. Much. Cheaper. and who doesn't love homemade bread?


The recipe?

3 cups whole wheat flour
1 3/4 C water
2 tsp yeast
2 Tbsp Olive oil
2 Tbsp Honey
1 tsp sea salt.

Mix the flour, water, and yeast together (I started putting my yeast in my water first and then waiting for it to get frothy and then mix it with my flour)
Mix until sticky and then let rise until doubled about 30 min.
Knead like crazy. I don't have a Kitchen Aid yet..and by yet, I mean YET. I will have one my friends. Anyway, I have found that if I knead it for 5 min every time I'm supposed to knead I don't get "purse bread" Purse bread is when you get a nice big hole in the center of your bread.
Let rise 30 min again or until doubled
and then Knead one more time. Once kneaded form into loaf and put in loaf pan. It will get sticky when you knead it like crazy so I just put a little water on my hands throughout the kneading process and it also really helps with the moistness when it's baked.
Bake at 350 for 40 min.

Be Healthy my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment