Sunday, February 27, 2011

Simplicity

Yesterday while Greg was balancing the check book I was sitting on the couch feeling my sweet little boy move his little tush from side to side and stretch his little legs out and I was thinking about life and then I just looked around the room and thought about how happy I am and how this is all I need...

Greg and I moved from a 3 bedroom one story house where life made sense to a 450 sq ft one bedroom apartment where life was totally flipped upside down (which turned out to be for the better). When we finally got here after 27 hours of driving we walked in and I immediately started crying. Greg just held me and he asked me if I was ok and then told me that it would be ok. Then he asked if I liked it and all I could do was cry and in between sobs say, "it's so small."
I was so focused on what didn't matter and I let my emotions take over. I had to remember that Greg and I had both received very strong revelation that we were to move here for a time and even though we didn't know how it would all work out. I would always think of the scripture where Nephi said I will go and do what the Lord has commanded because he will provide a way- that's definitely not word for word, but you get it. That was always comforting for me and helped me remember that the Lord did want us here and that he would provide a way for us to make it work as long as we were willing to do our part.

Today after church Greg and I were talking about the lesson in RS and EQ and it was about Pride and being humble.

It doesn't matter how big or how nice our home is. What matters is who we are and how we serve our father in heaven and each other. Service, charity, and Love out weigh big spaces and material goods. As a woman there is so much more I can occupy my mind and time with than material things. There is so much than can be done to serve, so many simple ways to serve others. When I think and do those things that is where I find the most joy. That is when I am the happiest. I do think about buying a house in 2 years when Greg is done with school, but I am also so content right now in my tiny little apartment that I don't even want to move to a two bedroom while we are here even though we are having a baby. The crib fits perfectly in the bedroom, all the baby stuff is organized in adequate spaces, Owen has adequate dresser and closet space so we're good. We don't need more. We have enough.

When we first moved here all I could think was "when I get a nursing job we are moving to a bigger place!" Now I've realized more money and bigger spaces doesn't make a happier life it can actually make it more complicated. So I'm enjoying the simplicity of our home and lifestyle.

My husband is amazing. I don't care where I live or how big our home is as long as I have him. He makes everything easier. He's always giving my reality checks when I get all sorts of hormonal on him without getting frustrated with me which is amazing to me because I would want to slap me.

I'm 36 weeks and 2 days!

5 comments:

  1. You are so sweet and such an amazing woman. You are going to be a great mom! With how much you care and how much you think about gospel principles - you can't go wrong. Thanks for your posts! You always brighten my day with your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I wouldn't mind having a bigger house and nicer cars................I'm glad your happy. Yeah only a couple more weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jillane you're the sweetest! Mel- haha I do want a bigger house for sure I'm just content right now that's all :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had the big house...It's a pain and cost a ton to even HEAT/COOL...I've had great cars, they guzzle gas and cost a lot to fix if anything goes haywire. I've traveled to far away places and learned that just because it is far away doesn't make those places any more interesting than life at home with loved ones. It only matters if you can take your experiences in life to help make life better for yourself, your family and others. Seems to me Lacey that you are well on you way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joey you are awesome! I appreciate you so much! So yesterday I was driving home and totally forgot you asked me to do your dental stuff so I came back and did them, but someone had taken them out of the autoclave so all I had to do was put them in the pill pack...I was like how could I forget that?! She just helped me out a ton turning over that room! By the time I left I had been there for 12 hours so I figured I had some excuse for not having a brain

    ReplyDelete