Wednesday, February 27, 2013

So, I made a skirt




This is how I did it. Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures while making it, so hopefully what I tell you makes sense.
1. get 1.5 yards of jersey knit fabric. Wait for 50% off coupons at joanns or michaels and make it super cheap!
2. fold fabric in half 

3. measure your waist or wherever you want it to sit. I personally like mine low on my hips.

4. with your fabric folded in half, half your measurements and measure it out on your fabric. so if you are say 30 in you would measure 15 in out for your waist or hips.

5. take your measuring tape and start it at your 15 in mark and angle towards the bottom corner of your skirt to make it an angle, so your not just cutting a straight line.

6. once you have it cut out, measure how long you want it. You don't have to hem a jersey knit skirt so you can just cut it the length you want, but of you want to hem it leave 2 extra inches or 3. Mine was 32 in long I think so I just cut off whatever the excess was.

7. Pin your skirt while it's inside out and sew the sides

8. Now with the extra fabric make a waistband. You want it to be the same measurement as your waist so if you were a 30 divide the extra fabric in half and measure out 15 in and cut that out. I folded my fabric in half and then cut the short side to make it two separate pieces but I kept them together to pin them together.
*You can make the waistband as wide as you want. I made mine about 9in, but I have to fold it twice- I will eventually just tack it so I only have to fold it once because I don't like folding it twice.

9. Pin the short sides together and then sew the short sides.

10. This is the trickiest part- While your skirt is inside out- turn your waistband right side out and pin the unfinished edges on the waistband and the unfinished edges of the waist of the skirt together and then sew around the skirt (does that makes sense?) if not message me and I'll try and clarify.

11. when done sewing turn your skirt right side out and fold down the waistband!

2 comments: