Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A day in my life

I wanted to write this, mainly for me, so when my child is older I don't forget what my days were like when he was tiny.  It's long, so feel free not to read it :o)
Sometimes, Evan likes to wake up at 5am and then decide he really isn't ready to be awake. We had one of those days recently.
5am- I hear crying and pounding on his door. I go in and he automatically says, "cracker." We go to the kitchen and I give him a cracker, we lay on the couch, and I listen to his every bite. I love the sound of him eating crackers, it's the sweetest! After his cracker he falls asleep all snuggled in my arms. 7:45am I wake up to him pointing to my body parts (mainly all on my face) and naming them. I look up at him and smile and he gives me his "you caught me" grin. I sing our good morning song and he listens and does his little wiggle while sitting on me. 
We get off the couch and he starts telling me a story, of which I can't understand. I ask him if he wants pancakes and he repeats "pancakes" back. I start making the pancakes and Evan walks over, reaches up top the counter, and tries to turn the dial on the griddle. I quickly tell him not to do that and to go play with his toys until the pancakes are done. He says, "pancakes" again and then I hear one of the kitchen table chairs moving across the floor, I look over and he's already standing on it trying to climb on the table. I go over, pick him up, throw him in the air, give him a big kiss, and put him back on the floor. I flip the pancakes. Then I hear the chair again. He's back on it. We go through the same process. Pancakes are done. I get him all settled in his seat and cut up his pancakes and put the plate on his tray with his fork. He gets most in his mouth, but when he's done he flings them off his fork and laughs when they hit the floor. He's a sticky mess! We clean him up, change his diaper, and then we play. We stack legos, read a book or two, chase each other around, put some pandora toddler tunes on and sing and dance. I usually have him say different words and 2 word sentences because I can't get enough of his sweet little voice. About an hour after breakfast he says, "cracker peas!" (We've got our "p's" down now!) I go get him a cracker and he takes it and says, "tang koo" and then he takes off. After his cracker is gone I see crumbs all over the floor (this happens, I swear, 30 times a day) and just happen to look over and realize we were sleeping in a pile of cracker crumbs on the couch. I go get the vacuum and vacuum it all up. I look to see where he is and he has his T-ball bat and he's using it to try and swipe the tomatoes and zucchini off the table. About 8:30am he says, "ow si si?" It means outside. I hurry and jump in the shower and get dressed and ready for the day. I go get dressed and I don't hear him.  quiet Evan is a naughty Evan.  I forgot to shut the bathroom door and there he is playing in the toilet. I get him out of the bathroom and he usually throws himself on the floor because he's so mad! We play outside for 2 hours. We eat lunch- which has been a very difficult task lately. All he wants are bagels, peanut butter and jelly, cheese and crackers. He goes down for a nap at 11:30 and sleeps until 1:30. Depending on what he sees, he'll say "bapple" or "nana" and that means apple and banana. He gets one. Then we start it all over again, more play, more outside time, and more messes. Except this time we do some learning activities. Sometimes we color and hope that the crayons don't get ingested. Before we know it, it's dinner time. Back inside we go and start cooking dinner. He usually eats pretty well, but we are stuck in a picky stage. Sometimes he likes to help me stir things or sit on the counter and watch.
After dinner Greg and I sit and chat while Evan runs around. Bedtime is 8:30. We read, we sing, we pray, and the child sleeps.
This is the best job any woman can have. I'll take 50 messes a day over no messes. I'll take temper tantrums and a picky child over the freedom to go and do as I please. I'll take being woken up in the wee hours of the morning over sleeping in till 10. I'll take a house strewn with toys than no toys at all.
The joy this child brings me and my husband is just indescribable. We sure love this child.

Get married. Have lots of babies. Live in the moment and just be happy. 

1 comment: