Friday, May 18, 2012

Finally, and explanation

Misophonia is a real thing.
Ever since I was younger I have hated hearing people chew, swallow, read with stuffy noses, slurp drinks, and breathe heavy. Not just the "oh my gosh that's so annoying close your mouth, stop reading, drinking or breathing" kind of thing, but the "if I don't leave the room I am literally going to rip my hair out, yell, or peel my skin off" kind of feeling. when I was younger, I never knew how to deal with the way I was feeling when those things would happen, so I would end up in a bad mood. I have always been labeled "touchy" when I would make known my frustration. I have always felt like I was some weirdo that really was just "touchy" and I needed to find some way to get over it, but I have never been able to "get over it." 

Turns out, there are more weirdo's like me and some are way more severe than mine. Some people can't even be around their own parents because they hate their voices and it sends them into rage if they hear it. Others, like me, just can't stand to be around the noise. I will literally squirm and rub my head and face or have to leave the room or somehow distract myself from the noise.


When it comes to people eating- I can't sit right next to people at lunch if there aren't other people in the room to talk to so I am distracted from the chewing. If it's just me and someone else, I have to be at the opposite end of the table.

I guess I will go on dealing with my "thing" by leaving rooms or squirming in my seat until it's over.

Everyone has a "thing" and I just thought I'd share mine.

You can read about it here- these are a little more intense than mine...




2 comments:

  1. I have a huge issue with how paper feels and loose hair. I would wince when doing workbooks at school, and I would gag when I had to clean the hairbrush. It has been better since I've had my anxiety medication though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that bad but I can't stand people chomping gum like a cow. Lol. Or my children whining but I think that's every mom.

    ReplyDelete